5 Ways to Beat the Boredom of Indoor Cardio
It's a fact: Indoor cardio sessions can be painfully boring. That's why Get-Fit Guy has created 5 boredom-busting workouts you can do at home on your treadmill, elliptical trainer, or bicycle to make your exercise time fly by.
Page 1 of 2
The sweat drips off your forehead. You uncomfortably shift in your bike seat. You try to avoid glancing at the dashboard to see how much time has gone by.
Then finally, youcan't help yourself and glance at your watch.
You’ve been on that darn indoor cardio trainer for just 14 minutes, and already you have an intense desire to move onto something far less boring – such as knitting, watching the paint dry, or reading Moby Dick for the ninth time.
Sponsor: This episode is brought to you by DailyBurn, the best fitness anywhere. Access online workout videos featuring a variety of programs, from tabata to interval training to yoga. Get the first 30 days free when you go to dailyburn.com/getfitguy.
It’s sad, but true: indoor cardio workouts can be painfully boring. So in this episode, you’ll learn how to beat the boredom when you’re exercising indoors on a treadmill, elliptical trainer, or bicycle, and get 5 fun indoor cardio workouts that make your workout fly by!
Anyways, you’re probably getting bored with the prliminaries, so let’s get started, shall we?
Indoor Cardio Workout #1: Elliptical Soup
I like this workout because it’s a full body workout in disguise. It gives you a great cardiovascular boost while still integrating some strength training!
Do an easy 2-minute warm up on the elliptical trainer, then do the following:
- Fast pedal – Medium Intensity (2 min)
- Backwards pedal – Medium Intensity (2 min)
- Get off elliptical and jump rope or do step-ups (1 min)
- Get back on elliptical and fast pedal – Hard Intensity (2 min)
- Backwards pedal – Hard Intensity (2 min)
- Get off elliptical and do squat jumps – 20 times. Here’s a video that shows you how to do squat jumps.
- Straddle run for 1 min. A straddle run is done on a step aerobics step or another raised surface that's 4-6 inches off the floor. Start standing on the step. Step off and to the side with your right foot, then your left foot, and step back on with your right then left foot. Do that as quickly as you can for one minute.
- Get back on the elliptical and fast pedal – Hard Intensity (1 min)
- Backwards pedal – Medium Intensity (1 min)
- Side shuffle - 2 min. Here's a video that shows you how to do a side shuffle.
At this point, you can either repeat everything (excluding the warm up) for a total of 2-3 times through – or just call it good and cool down!