How to Get a Swim Workout Without Swimming
Want the lean, toned, muscular body of a swimmer, but without all that pesky swimming? Get-Fit Guy understands. That's why he's created this custom swim workout that you can do outside the water (no flippers or bathing suit required).
It’s no secret that swimmers usually have nice bodies, burn lots of calories during their workouts, and possess superior cardiovascular fitness.
But sometimes it’s either A) inconvenient to get to the pool or B) you’re just not the swimming type.
Luckily, you can still get a good swim workout without swimming. Here’s a circuit I do when I’m traveling and can’t get to a pool:
Warm up for 2-5 minutes. I prefer jumping jacks, which require a similar shoulder movement as swimming. Then do:
- 20 Squat Jumps. Bonus points if you keep your arms extended over your head “streamline” style.
- 10 Lunge Jumps per side to get the heart rate up even more.
- 10 Dive Bomber pushups (aka Hindu pushups)
- 20 Regular Squats. Bonus points if you keep your arms extended over your head “streamline” style.
- 10 Lunge with twists per side, which work the same twisting core muscles you use while swimming. No weights required.
- 20 Front plank taps per side.
- 20 Side plank rotations per side.
- 20 Supermans
- 20 Flutterkicks per side.
Complete the entire routine 1-3 times through!
Do you have your own tips to add, or questions about how to get a swim workout without swimming? Leave your feedback over at Facebook.com/GetFitG!