Recipe: Surprise Breakfast Soufflé
Your guests will ask for seconds and praise your kitchen prowess when they taste this fabulous savory breakfast dish. Don't worry, we won't let them know how easy it was to make.
Assemble this delicious breakfast soufflé the night before and then pop in the oven the next morning for a quick and easy breakfast or brunch. This dish is a perfect choice for a Mother’s Day brunch or for anytime you want to serve a simple yet hearty meal to your family or guests.
Surprise Breakfast Soufflé
- 16 slices of bread, cubed or torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 lb. cubed ham or 1 ½ lbs. crumbled crisp-fried bacon
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ cups cubed Swiss cheese
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon onion salt
- 1 stick butter
- 2 cups corn flake crumbs
In a buttered 9" x 13" pan, layer half the bread cubes on the bottom. Next, layer half the ham or bacon, and half of each of the cheeses.; Repeat these layers one more time.
Mix together the eggs, milk, dry mustard, and onion salt. Pour this over the bread, meat, and cheeses. Top with remaining bread. Cover tightly with foil and put in the refrigerator overnight.
The next day, preheat the oven to 3750. Melt the butter and mix in the 2 cups of corn flake crumbs. Sprinkle this mixture over the top of the casserole. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes.; Serve warm.
- Use turkey bacon instead of regular bacon.
- Try using different cheeses like pepper jack, smoked gouda, or mozzarella.
- For a vegetarian version, substitute steamed broccoli or spinach for the ham or bacon.