Tabbouleh Salad Recipe
Get Nutrition Diva's recipe of her favorite summer salad!
This is one of my favorite summer salads. For maximum nutrition, don’t stint on the herbs!
- 1 cup bulgur wheat (for a gluten-free alternative, use 2 cups cooked, cooled quinoa)
- 1 cucumber, well-scrubbed, but not peeled
- 4-6 ripe plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups (packed) fresh parsley or mint leaves, or a combination, finely chopped
- Juice from one lemon, plus ½ tsp grated zest
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Place bulgur in large salad bowl and stir in 1 cup boiling water. Let sit 1 hour. (Or, place cooked, cooled quinoa in bowl.)
Cut cucumbers in half length-wise and scoop out the seeds (or use a seedless “hothouse” cucumber), and chop.
Add chopped cucumbers, tomato, herbs, and lemon zest to bulgur.
Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil. Add salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
Toss to combine ingredients and serve on romaine lettuce leaves.
Nutrition info: Calories: 150, Carbs 24g, Fiber 6g, Fat 5g, Protein 5g
See also: Does Parsley Count as a Leafy Green?
Salad image from Shutterstock