6 Ways to Step Up Your Breakfast Game
We've all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but we still think it deserves more recognition! The Clever Cookstr is joined by Meredith Turits, editorial director of Extra Crispy, a new site dedicated to documenting breakfast and brunch in our culture and in our lives.
1) Savor your routine. Whether you're going through a serious banana pancake phase or it's all about getting down that first cup of coffee, allow yourself the time to enjoy the intimate and sometimes quirky rituals you've developed for the first meal of the day (Meredith's dad eats skim milk, Cheerios, and bananas out of the same bowl with the same spoon every morning. Classic dad.).
2) Don't underestimate cereal. Cereal not only has plenty of nostalgic value, but it's also a creative outlet. Take your cereal up a notch with cereal Frankensteining: mixing various box cereals, toppings, and milks for your ideal cereal experience.
3) Stand proud in your coffee preferences. Regardless of whether your tastes run towards the reliable, familiar deli coffee or you're considering whether you should be certified as a coffee sommelier, never apologize for your breakfast beverage loyalty. People have very strong opinions on everything from hacks to make the best iced coffee at home to opting out of the coffee wars altogether—it's a controversial topic. We can agree to disagree on this one.
4) Share your breakfast secrets. While whispering about the best new spot for pre-dinner drinks or the hottest underground menu can be a bit of a sport in major cities, the rules about sharing breakfast hotspots are out the window. Meredith tipped us off to her favorite breakfast burrito at Hoja Santa in Brooklyn, in a jalapeno maple syrup with hashbrowns, bacon, eggs, and hot sauce.
5) Want your breakfast to be Instagram-worthy? Put an egg on it! Eggs are so photogenic and vibrant, they'll make a pan of leftovers look like a first-class dish. And colorful garnishes and props can do a lot for a drab bowl of oatmeal.
6) Three words: Artisanal brunch bingo.
Don't forget to sign up for the forthcoming Clever Cookstr newsletter, full of tips and tricks from the kitchens of the world's best chefs.