Fiction editor Joshua Essoe gives his best tips for writing fight scenes (hint: it's not about the fighting).
Joshua Essoe has been a full-time freelance fiction editor for more than 10 years and just came out with his first book: "Essoe's Guides to Writing: Action Sequences & Sex Scenes." We focused on action sequences and talked about the following:
- How to use emotions as an essential part of action sequences.
- Why it's usually important to keep your dialogue short.
- The one thing he cuts most often from fight scenes: turning and looking.
- Which words you should use only once or twice: "charged" and "roared."
- Why sex scenes are just a different kind of action sequence.
- How he got his first gig as a fiction editor. (It's a great lesson for aspiring editors!)
You can listen to the interview using the player at the top of this page or read a complete rough transcript.