House Call Doctor has 5 steps for you to take if you get the flu.
If you are one of the unlucky ones who do get influenza this season, here’s what you should do:
1. Stay home; don’t go into work or school sick and spread it to others.
2. If you are healthy and young and want to tough it out, drink lots of liquids, take Tylenol or Ibuprofen for the fever and aches, and get lots of rest.
3. If you are at risk for complications, see your doctor right away, as there are anti-viral medications to make your infection less severe. But these medications have to be given in the first 48 hours of the illness for them to work. Normally, these medications should be reserved for the very young, the elderly, and those with chronic diseases.
4. See your doctor for any signs of complications, including significant cough, shortness of breath, or mental status changes.
5. Don’t give aspirin to children with influenza, as this is a suspected cause of the serious condition called Reye’s syndrome.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock