How to Create a Profitable Side Business (and Keep Your Day Job)
Want to become an entrepreneur while avoiding all the potential pitfalls? Laura interviews Patrick McGinnis, author of The 10% Entrepreneur about why you don't have to choose between your current career and starting a profitable side business. Find out how to balance financial stability and volatility with grace and embrace where even a part-time venture can lead you.
Many people want to spread their entrepreneurial wings, but they also don’t want to give up the stability of working for someone else. The startup life seems exciting, but it comes with loads of risk and financial volatility.
No matter if you love your day job because the work is meaningful, you get a steady paycheck, have great coworkers, or are accomplishing a cherished corporate mission, it’s possible to also create a profitable business on the side.
In my interview with Patrick McGinnis we talk about why you don’t have to choose between your current career and becoming an entrepreneur. He wrote the international bestseller The 10% Entrepreneur: Live Your Startup Dream Without Quitting Your Day Job.
We discuss the upside to having both the stability of a traditional career and an entrepreneurial venture. For many people, including me, this combination is a smart way to diversify income, expand experiences, broaden your network, and stay excited about work.
Patrick and I have a great conversation about:
- The romance versus the reality of becoming an entrepreneur
- How to get the benefits of entrepreneurship with none of the pitfalls
- Why becoming a 10% entrepreneur often enhances performance at your day job
- Whether you should discuss a side business with employers or coworkers
- The best types of business ventures and projects to choose for your talent, experiences, and lifestyle
- How to find enough time to create a profitable side business
- When bringing in partners and outsourcing to freelancers makes sense
Entrepreneurship takes you to unexpected places … Building new things, meeting new people, and surprising yourself never gets old, so embrace the change to do something out of the ordinary. - Patrick McGinnis
Get More Money Girl!
Want to know the best financial and productivity tools that I use and recommend to save time and money? Click here to check out 40+ tools I recommend!
To connect on social media, you’ll find Money Girl on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+. Also, if you’re not already subscribed to the Money Girl podcast on Apple Podcasts or the Stitcher app, both are free and make sure that you’ll get each new weekly episode as soon as it’s published on the web. The show is also on the Spotify mobile app!
There’s a huge archive of past articles and podcasts if you type in what you want to learn about in the search bar at the top of the page. Here are all the many places you can connect with me, learn more about personal finance, and ask your money question:
- Dominate Your Dollars - Laura's private Facebook Group
- Money Girl on Facebook
- Money Girl podcast on Apple Podcasts (it’s free to subscribe!)
- Money Girl on the Stitcher app (also free to subscribe!)
- Email: LauraDAdams.com/contact
To learn about how to get out of debt, save money, and build wealth, get a copy of my award-winning book Money Girl’s Smart Moves to Grow Rich. It tells you what you need to know about money without bogging you down with what you don’t. It’s available at your favorite bookstore as a paperback or e-book. Click here to download 2 FREE book chapters now!
Items on a White Desktop image courtesy of Shutterstock