Although gas prices are rising each day, you can still save at the pump. Money Girl has 6 smart ways to pay less for gas.
Gas is now nearing an astonishing $4 per gallon on average in the U.S.! Thankfully, there are still 8 great ways to save money at the pump:
- Buy discounted gas gift cards from various vendors at sites like PlasticJungle.com and GiftCards.com.
- Buy gas in the morning or at night when it’s cooler so less evaporates from your tank.
- Don’t idle for more than a minute because that wastes more gas than restarting the engine.
- Fill up during the middle of the week because gas prices rise on Thursdays in anticipation of weekend travel.
- Lighten your load -- every extra 250 pounds of weight in your vehicle burns an additional gallon of gas.
- Download an app for your smart phone that makes it easy to find the cheapest gas prices like GasBuddy or CheapGas!
- Ask a mechanic about the lowest octane gas recommended for your vehicle -- the manual may recommend high octane even though it’s not necessary.
- Drive with your windows closed on the highway (to save as much as 10%) and open the windows and turn off the air conditioning in stop-and-go traffic.
These tips were inspired by energy expert, Chris Faulker, CEO Breitling Oil & Gas.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock