Want to do what you love and make some extra money on the side? Money Girl has the trick to creating your own home business—and even launching a new career.
How to Make Money Working From Home
There are hundreds of potential businesses you can start. If you’re a technology whiz, computer-based home businesses are hot and allow you to work anywhere you have an internet connection. Here are a few to consider:
Web Trader: buys and sells goods through sites like eBay, Craigslist, Amazon or through a virtual store like Etsy. This is great for niche products that you know a lot about like antique books, handmade jewelry, or vintage clothes.
Webmaster: works with clients to create, set up, and manage their websites and blogs.
Virtual Assistant (VA): provides remote technical or administrative services to assist clients with marketing, publishing, blogging, editing, customer service, and much more.
If you’re not so tech-savvy, here are a few offline businesses that you could run out of your home for local clients:
- Tutor: teaches students of all ages how to improve their academic performance or skills.
- Elder Assistant: provides services like errands, housekeeping, cooking, and bookkeeping for the elderly.
- Pet Sitter: takes care of pets while their owners are at work or on vacation.
- Massage Therapist: provides therapeutic bodywork.
- Personal Care Worker: assists individuals with daily living and heath care needs.
- Product Representative: sells products directly to consumers for branded companies like Silpada, Lia Sophia, and Avon.
You have to be certified to provide hands-on services like massage therapy and health care assistance. But once you get certified in a field that interests you, you’ll have a valuable money-making skill that you can use to build a business.