Deduction Dangers, Part 3: Medical and Dental Expenses

Find out which medical and dental expenses are deductible and how to claim them on your taxes—plus, some tax traps to avoid.

Laura Adams, MBA
4-minute read
Episode #262


When to Deduct Medical Expenses

You can deduct medical and dental expenses in the year you paid for them, regardless of when the services were provided. So if you received medical treatment in 2010, but didn’t pay for it until 2011, you can only deduct the expenses in 2011.

If you neglected to claim a deductible medical expense, you can file an amended tax return on Form 1040X for the year you missed the tax break. You generally have 3 years from the date the original return was filed or 2 years from the date you paid tax, whichever is later, to correct a botched tax return.

Download FREE chapters of Money Girl’s Smart Moves to Grow Rich

To learn much more about taxes and smart ways to manage your money, get a copy of my book Money Girl’s Smart Moves to Grow Rich. It tells you what you need to know about money without bogging you down with what you don’t. It’s available at your favorite book store in print or as an e-book for your Kindle, Nook, iPad, PC, Mac, or smart phone. You can even download 2 free book chapters when you visit SmartMovesToGrowRich.com!

Get More Money Girl!

Click here to sign up for the free Money Girl Newsletter!

There’s a huge archive of past articles and podcasts if you type in what you want to learn about in the search bar at the top of the page. Here are all the many places you can connect with me, learn more about personal finance, and ask your money question:

Articles You Might Like:
Image courtesy of Shutterstock


About the Author

Laura Adams, MBA

Laura Adams received an MBA from the University of Florida. She's an award-winning personal finance author, speaker, and consumer advocate who is a trusted and frequent source for the national media. Her book, Debt-Free Blueprint: How to Get Out of Debt and Build a Financial Life You Love was an Amazon #1 New Release. Do you have a money question? Call the Money Girl listener line at 302-364-0308. Your question could be featured on the show.