How to File an Amended Tax Return

Laura Adams, MBA
1-minute read

Quick Tip: How to File an Amended Tax Return

Did you wake up in the middle of the night and realize that you forgot to claim something important on your tax return? Don’t worry; you have up to three years to file an amended tax return to correct the error. You or your accountant must submit Form 1040X in addition to any other forms that need to be changed. You can’t file an amended return electronically nor can you request a direct deposit for a refund. So you’ll have to rely on snail mail which could take several months to process. Also remember that your state tax return may need to be amended too.

Image courtesy of Shutterstock


About the Author

Laura Adams, MBA

Laura Adams received an MBA from the University of Florida. She's an award-winning personal finance author, speaker, and consumer advocate who is a frequent, trusted source for the national media. Money-Smart Solopreneur: A Personal Finance System for Freelancers, Entrepreneurs, and Side-Hustlers is her newest title. Laura's previous book, Debt-Free Blueprint: How to Get Out of Debt and Build a Financial Life You Love, was an Amazon #1 New Release. Do you have a money question? Call the Money Girl listener line at 302-364-0308. Your question could be featured on the show.