Mighty Mommy discusses the magic of picture books with New York Time's best-selling author Deborah Diesen of the popular Pout Pout Fish series.
One very special way parents can bond with their kids is to snuggle together in a cozy chair or nook and share a book together. With today's families leading such full and busy lives, finding time to connect can be difficult, but reading is something every family can find even 15 minutes to enjoy together.
Deborah Diesen, a wonderful author of many popular children’s picture books, including the New York Times best-selling The Pout-Pout Fish Series, joins Mighty Mommy to share the many enchanting ways parents, grandparents, and caregivers can engage kids with delightful stories and beautiful illustrations such as the ones in her books. She currently works for a nonprofit organization and has also worked as a librarian and a bookseller. Her background definitely lends itself to her love of writing and books.
Here are some of the topics we discuss in today's podcast.
- The Pout-Pout Fish is celebrating its 10th anniversary. Deborah shares the delightful story of how this character and the series came to be and what makes him so special.
- Deborah’s background as a librarian and a bookseller was instrumental in her decision to become a writer of children’s books, her true passion. She explains why picture books are so important for young children.
- Suggestions for parents and caregivers on how they can make reading a picture book a special experience.
- Deborah discusses the trends developing in children's books throughout the past decade since The Pout Pout Fish series began.
- Deborah chats about her future books and her blog, Jumping the Candlestick.
What’s your favorite way to share books with your children? Share your thoughts in the comment section at quickanddirtytips.com/mighty-mommyor post your ideas on the Mighty Mommy Facebook page. You can also connect with me on Twitter @MightyMommy or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.