This soup is easy and quick enough to make for a weeknight dinner but elegant to serve at a dinner party. Delicious warm or chilled. (Oh, and it's super nutritious, too!)
This soup tastes rich and creamy but only has 100 calories per bowl. Avocados boost the absorption of the beta-carotene in the carrots and also help your body convert it into vitamin A.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound carrots, roughly chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ripe avocado (plus more for garnish, if desired)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in large saucepan until shimmering and add onions. Cook over low heat until golden (5-10 minutes).
- Add spices and cook until fragrant (1 minute)
- Add carrots, stock, and soup and simmer gently until carrots are tender (about 20 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Transfer soup to blender along with avocado, cover and blend until smooth. (Use caution when blending hot foods!)
- Taste and add salt, if needed. If your carrots weren't very sweet, you may also want to add a teaspoon of honey or other sweetener.
- Serve warm or chilled, garnished with plenty of fresh cilantro and a thin slice or two of avocado, if desired.