We’re joined today by Roxanne Wyss and Kathy Moore, the authors of the new cookbook Slow Cooker Desserts. We all know that slow cookers are a great way to make delicious, hands-off dinners. But have you ever use one to make a cheesecake, or bread pudding? Kathy and Roxanne are going to tell us how.
Here are a few tips for using your slow cooker to make delicious desserts:
1) If you're baking a cake, you'll want to first choose a moist or dense cake recipe. Choose recipes that are targeted specifically for slow cookers.
2) Pair your slow cooker with a seven-inch springform pan or loaf pan, which you'll place in the slow cooker, to bake a cake or cheesecake cleanly for a great presentation.
3) Prepare the batter, then pour the batter into the springform or loaf pan. Fold a sheet of aluminum foil into a ring and place it at the bottom of your slow cooker. Place the filled pan on the foil ring, then cook according to the recipe.
4) Slow cooker desserts are a great option for when it's hot outside and you don't want to have the oven on or you're busy and out of the house during the day.
5) The slow cooker is well suited to fondue, too. All kinds of chocolate, caramel, and various other fondues work well in a smaller (1-2 quart) slow cooker. You can serve it right from the slow cooker, keeping it warm, or transfer it to a decorative fondue pot. Surround with fruits, cookies and other dippers for a dessert buffet!
6) For a dinner party or occasion, let the slow cooker do the work for you so you have time to enjoy the party, and also to save room in your oven.
7) Just do it! Don't be afraid. Slow cookers are a forgiving and accessible way to make delicious desserts.