Laura interviews Rod Griffin, Experian's director of public education, about a variety of important topics that will help you build and maintain excellent credit. You'll learn how to build credit from scratch, the right amount of credit to use, whether you should work with a credit repair company, what to do when you're the victim of fraud, and much more.
Rod Griffin works for one of the nation's three credit reporting agencies. As Experian’s director of public education, he understands the credit industry better than just about anyone I know.
He’s even had his own personal credit challenges, like becoming the victim of tax fraud. In this interview he tells that story and gives great advice about how consumers can build credit wisely.
We cover the following topics:
- Tips to build credit from scratch if you’re just starting out, are recently divorced, or are recovering from a financial disaster
- How to manage credit utilization on different types of credit cards so you maximize your scores
- Whether it's possible to "game" your utilization ratio by making early payments
- How no preset spending limit credit cards affect your credit file and credit scores
- If there's a good reason to use a credit repair company and how to protect yourself from bogus promises
- Actions to take if you suspect or know that you've been the victim of credit fraud
- How credit reporting works when you relocate outside of the US
Free Resource: Credit Score Survival Kit—a multimedia tutorial with strategies to build and maintain excellent credit for life. The kit includes a video, ebook, and audiobook download.
People often overthink credit reporting. The key is having common sense, paying bills on time, and keeping balances low. If you do that your scores will take care of themselves. -Rod Griffin
Get More Money Girl!
Want to know the best financial and productivity tools that I use and recommend to save time and money? Click here to check out 40+ tools I recommend!
To connect on social media, you’ll find Money Girl on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+. Also, if you’re not already subscribed to the Money Girl podcast on iTunes or the Stitcher app, both are free and make sure that you’ll get each new weekly episode as soon as it’s published on the web.
There’s a huge archive of past articles and podcasts if you type in what you want to learn about in the search bar at the top of the page. Here are all the many places you can connect with me, learn more about personal finance, and ask your money question:
- Dominate Your Dollars - Laura's private Facebook Group
- Money Girl on Facebook
- Laura on Facebook
- Money Girl podcast on iTunes (it’s free to subscribe!)
- Money Girl on the Stitcher app (also free to subscribe!)
- Email: LauraDAdams.com/contact
To learn about how to get out of debt, save money, and build wealth, get a copy of my award-winning book Money Girl’s Smart Moves to Grow Rich. It tells you what you need to know about money without bogging you down with what you don’t. It’s available at your favorite bookstore as a paperback or e-book. Click here to download 2 FREE book chapters now!
Business Figure and Credit Card image courtesy of Shutterstock.