Laura interviews Doug McCormick, author of the new book Family Inc. No matter your stage in life, you'll learn how to use business and corporate finance concepts to maximize your personal finances, make the most of your opportunities, and build wealth.
Doug McCormick is a Harvard MBA, entrepreneur, and author who helps families and businesses create wealth. He’s spent decades managing money for institutional clients such as insurance companies, pension funds, entrepreneurs, and high net worth families.
In this interview we talk about his new book, Family Inc.: Using Business Principles to Maximize Your Family’s Wealth, which is based on corporate finance concepts modified for the family’s personal finance needs. Doug shares how how he began investing at the age of seven when his Dad helped him purchase AT&T stock.
We talk about his belief that every family needs a Chief Financial Officer or CFO. And how, even if you don’t own a business, you are an entrepreneur because you sell your labor, which is your largest asset.
[Listen to the interview using the audio player in the upper right sidebar of this page or on iTunes, Stitcher, and Spotify; for Spotify, just search the app for "Money Girl."]
Here are some of the important issues that I cover with Doug:
- How to manage your labor and career as an investment and protect it with the right kinds of insurance.
- When to consider going back to school and what types of advanced degrees and skills can pay off the most.
- How education allows you to extend your working career, earn more lifetime income, and have greater financial security.
- Why typical financial literacy may oversimplify the role of debt and hold you back from achieving success.
- Staying focused on the big picture of your long-term financial goals by thinking more like a business owner than an investor.
- How to keep your emotions in check even when the stock market is extremely volatile.
Think like an investor when you choose a job … put your labor into attractive opportunities in industries that are growing and will create advancement and the best compensation. - Doug McCormick
Family Inc. covers a variety of important topics like career, investing, insurance, retirement, charitable giving, and estate planning. No matter your stage in life, it will give you confidence to better manage your family’s finances and make the most of your opportunities.
Get More Money Girl!
Want to know the best financial and productivity tools that I use and recommend to save time and money? Click here to check out 40+ tools I recommend!
To connect on social media, you’ll find Money Girl on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+. Also, if you’re not already subscribed to the Money Girl podcast on iTunes or the Stitcher app, both are free and make sure that you’ll get each new weekly episode as soon as it’s published on the web. You'll also find the show on Spotify's mobile app!
There’s a huge archive of past articles and podcasts if you type in what you want to learn about in the search bar at the top of the page. Here are all the many places you can connect with me, learn more about personal finance, and ask your money question:
- Dominate Your Dollars - Laura's private Facebook Group
- Money Girl on Facebook
- Laura on Facebook
- Money Girl podcast on iTunes (it’s free to subscribe!)
- Money Girl on the Stitcher app (also free to subscribe!)
- Email: LauraDAdams.com/contact
To learn about how to get out of debt, save money, and build wealth, get a copy of my award-winning book Money Girl’s Smart Moves to Grow Rich. It tells you what you need to know about money without bogging you down with what you don’t. It’s available at your favorite bookstore as a paperback or e-book. Click here to download 2 FREE book chapters now!
Mature Businessman image courtesy of Shutterstock