It's rough out there! These tips from Relationship Doctor Stephen Snyder will help you navigate the stormy waters of dating as a single parent.
No matter how much you adore spending time with your kids, flying solo as a single parent can be rough. Your kids keep you busy, so you haven't been on a date in forever. If you're ready to enjoy a romantic relationship again, you might be nervous and wondering how to get started. I chatted with Dr. Stephen Snyder, QDT's own Relationship Doctor, about ways to ease your anxiety
Dr. Snyder is a therapist with with an international reputation as one of today’s most original and creative thinkers on intimate relationships. That's based on his experience treating over 1,500 individuals and couples over the past 30 years. He’s been a regular contributor to Huffington Post, Psychology Today, and The Times of London. He's also been featured on NBC Today and in Elle, Vogue, Glamour, Cosmopolitan, Brides, Essence, Women’s Health, The Atlantic, and The New York Times. He's the author of Love Worth Making: How to Have Ridiculously Great Sex in a Long-Lasting Relationship.
Dr. Snyder is going to share his expertise on how single parents can feel good about combining their important role as a mom or dad with finding love again.
Have a listen to the interview by clicking on the audio player above. In this episode, we'll answer these essential questions:
- How long after being widowed or divorced should I wait before starting to date?
- What's the best way to look for a romantic partner ... without embarrassing my kids or myself?
- Are there things I can do to prepare emotionally for the dating world, especially if it’s been a really long time?
- What's the best way to start a new relationship without getting my kids upset?
- What should I know about public displays of affection with my new partner in front of my kids?
- Are there clues or warning signs I should pay attention to if something feels “off” once I've been on a few dates with someone?
- How do I balance my parental responsibilities with my wish for adult companionship?
JOIN THE PARENTING CONVERSATION
Are you anxious about launching into the dating world again? Join the conversation on the Mighty Mommy Facebook page, Twitter, or email me at email@example.com. Visit my family-friendly boards at Pinterest.com/MightyMommyQDT. Subscribe to the QDT newsletter to get parenting tips and more delivered directly to your inbox. Don't miss an episode! Listen and subscribe on Apple, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts.