You don’t need a special holiday to show your family love. Sure, it’s great to fuss on special occasions by going all out with confectionary delights, greeting cards, parties, and the like … but love is for the ordinary times, too. Here are fifteen simple ways to show your family love all year ’round!
- Admit when you are wrong. It’s important for family members, especially your kids, to know you’re OK with owning your mistakes. Not only that, showing them that it’s important to acknowledge when you mess up, and then make an effort to make things right, is a great way to model integrity!
- Smile at your kids when they walk into the room. Showing love to your family means letting them know you’re happy to see them.
- Catch your child (and partner) doing something good and praise them in public for it. Nothing makes a person’s day by being recognized and praised!
- Share as many family meals together as possible throughout the week. Maybe it can’t always be dinner, but kicking off the day together by enjoying breakfast as a family is equally as important.
- Don’t compare your child to others. Every child is an individual and needs to know that you support them for who they are, not for who they are not.
- Tell your family members you love them every day. You may think it’s understood that you love your family, but there’s nothing like having that validation.
- Give your kids and family members a hug every day. Aside from just feeling good, research shows hugs can actually provide stress relief and keep us from getting sick!
- Be as involved as your schedule permits. Show your kids you care by getting involved with the things that affect their life and education like going to PTO meetings, attending parent-teacher conferences, and supporting them in extracurricular activities and sports.
- Model good manners by saying please and thank-you, yourself. Being polite and expressing gratitude are subtle but powerful ways to show love.
- Learn to become a better listener. When your kids and spouse want to share their feelings, show them you love them by tuning in, asking clarifying questions, and never talking over them or redirecting the conversation.
- Schedule dates with each of your children throughout the month as well as your partner. Yes, it’s important for you and your spouse to stay connected with regular dates, but it’s equally important for your children to have some one-on-one time with you to make them feel special.
- Routinely send your kids and spouse love notes and whimsical cards of appreciation. Those little things add up!
- Be kind to yourself. Show your family that you value taking care of yourself and you’ll be giving them permission to do the same thing for themselves.
- Help provide healthy meals and snacks. Committing to good nutrition is an act of love!
- Let your child decide what’s for dinner one night of the week. Show your kiddo that you value their opinions and choices by letting them take charge of some meal planning.
Do you have some unique ways to show your family love? Tag @MightyMommy on Twitter to share them with me!
All content here is for informational purposes only. This content does not replace the professional judgment of your own mental health provider. Please consult a licensed mental health professional for all individual questions and issues.